29.10.07

Petrens' Orchids



Never would have thought I would open this blog with a description of a orchid-nursery! But when I was taken to Petrens yesterday, I immediately knew they embody everything I want to write about here.
The nursery dates back to 1887, and is located in the small town of Sint-Denijs-Westrem, near Gent (Belgium), my hometown. The greenhouses are still in Victorian style, but renovated to suit modern requirements, in themselves they are worth the visit.
But of course, the real attractions are the orchids. They cultivate and sell somewhere between 800 and 1000 different varieties; more than I can describe and you can imagine. Almost anyone can and will be surprised and delighted here. The products of their beautiful and passionate work are in my opinion very reasonably priced, making wonderfully unusual flowers available for anyone.












edit:




It might be nice to add some photo's of 'our' orchids:



No comments: